Sunday, April 23, 2006

Be afraid... be very afraid...

What a nice weekend... I've just said goodbye to my lunch guests. Spent a lovely day yesterday planning, list-writing and cooking (my idea of heaven - coordinating stuff, bossing people (Rich) around and cooking... bliss) and then today with good company and far too much food (quoi de neuf). Rich and I are off to a movie tonight and then I've taken leave for tomorrow and then Tuesday is Anzac Day!

Well, amazingly, it has been a very eventful weekend! Normally nothing happens medically on the weekend, but this time it has! I called my oncologist repeatedly on Friday to find out what was happening with the laparoscopy. She rang me back Saturday morning, complete with her two-year old screaming in the back ground to tell me that she can fit me in on Wednesday. Hurrah! So I rang the fertility clinic, which is open 7 days a week (since apparently women's periods won't behave and fit into the nine to five, Monday to Friday time slot) and they saw me today (Sunday) to teach me how to use all the drugs! So from tonight, I take a nasal spray that will suppress all my natural hormones, and from tomorrow I start injections that will stimulate egg growth. I enquired as to the extremely remote possibility that I will turn into hormonal cranky bitch, and the nurse assured Rich and I that I would indeed turn into a very scary women and recommended flowers and footrubs. PMT on speed apparently. Nice. Mama seems to have reversed her desire to come down as soon as possible and now wants to stay away until I've finished fertility treatment. (I'm joking, obviously. Mama would be down here within the hour if I asked.) Please be nice to Rich in the next two weeks!

So that means that we'll be able to harvest eggs in about two weeks, and then the major surgery will follow from that! I am extremely relieved about the egg harvest, one less thing to worry about. The whole infertility question was the big thing that had concerned me all last time.

Naturally, the speed at which this all occured is due entirely to Rich booking flights to Dubbo to watch the plant out there pour their first batch of concrete - so he won't be in town for the laparoscopy. And yes, it is fairly important for him to go - one of us has to be advancing our careers during this time! So a good friend of mine has very kindly offered to spend the night Tuesday and then come to the hospital with me on Wednesday. I'll probably spend Wednesday night in hospital and come home Thursday. I don't know whether I'll work on Friday yet - have to wait and see how I feel.

As I said, work has been very understanding. I'm a bit frustrated at the timing of it all though - I've been working on a couple of projects that are due for completion in the next couple of months, and it's highly likely that someone else will now implement them instead! But I guess it is a question of priorities, and my health is the most important thing right now. But it is bad timing.

Thanks Auntie Anne for your comments! I really do love writing and I have never dedicated the time I should to it. I only half finished Lucas the Legoman which I started when he was born and is now far too old for. The tale of Lucas the Legoman who got left behind under the couch and had to battle all the monsters (the cockroaches, giant dust balls, the vacuum cleaner) to get back to Lucy the Legolady! Really should finish that.

Well, I am meeting with the oncologist tomorrow to find out more about the laparoscopy and sign all the scary consent forms, so I will update again tomorrow when I know more!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess
It's Kirstin here from the ABC. Do you have an email address at home? I'd really like to send you an email.
Best regards
Kirstin.

2:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home