Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Just another manic Monday...

Well, it is all happening! I've started hormone treatment, as discussed in the last blog. So far so good, the injections are pretty easy. The nasal spray tastes completely disgusting, but that's life.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I go in for the laparoscopy! It's all happening a bit fast now. I've spent the last weekend not thinking about the actual surgery, being all happy about the harvest and planning Sunday's party, but now I need to actually think about the bloody tumour in my belly. And I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. It's been a while since I've been under anaesthetic and while I know that I've handled it fine in the past (six times now), I'm still stupidly worried about the whole thing.

We met with the oncologist on Monday. She said that if it looks definitively like a uterine fibroid, she'll biopsy it and potentially take it out then and there if it's easy to do. If it's really ugly, already spreading and looks definitively cancerous, she'll probably biopsy it too, so that we know for sure what it is and can continue on with a bit more knowledge. If it's somewhere in the middle, she'll just look at it, no biopsy at all.

I'm tentatively booked in for surgery on the 19th May. It seems like a long way away, but it has to be after the harvest, which will be two weeks from yesterday, so the 8th May. Westmead is cost cutting, so have cancelled all surgery on the Friday after that - the 12th (my oncologist is only in surgery on Tuesday and Friday) and naturally the following Tuesday is already fully booked due to the cancelled Friday. So Friday the 19th it is.

There's some emotional stuff I want to talk about too, but we're going out for the traditional Anzac Day BBQ, so I'll write more tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home