Monday, May 14, 2007

Party party party...

Just a quick post, I'm afraid... Just letting you know that my silence is due to a surfeit of enjoyable activities rather than a prolonged period of misery for any other reason. Certainly makes a nice change!

Have had lots of visitor swarming into Brissie - Troy and Debbie came down last week and I spent a fantastic couple of days with them. Adam came down for a wedding so I spent an evening with him. Saturday night I went to a cocktail party, and Sunday I discovered the hidden powers of anti-nausea drugs when combating after effects of said cocktail party. (Yes, I know that's not what they're for. One should always take one's perks where one finds them. Don't get preachy.)

And I have finally worked out the ultimate way to describe chemotherapy! Chemo is like having a perpetual hangover. You are extremely tired... nauseous... the thought of some foods will make you violently ill, but you crave other, probably inappropriate foods... while chemo does not provide you with flashbacks of embarrassing things you may or may not have said last night, it does provide flashforwards of unpleasant things that may or may not happen to you in the future. But I have to say, you get a lot more love and sympathy from the chemo. So you see, I was simply conducting research to better describe the chemotherapy experience. Plus it was a bloody good night.

I got my picc out on Friday, so chemo is officially over! I actually got to HOCA, and my doctor said "no, we'll leave it in for another week". So I organised a mutiny with all the nurses (I had a wonderful megalomaniac nurse who likes to pull out piccs. Makes her feel like a surgeon). Eventually I told the doctor I had a date and that I couldn't possible go with tubes in my arm, so he relented. And called out from across the waiting room "I hope you score!" I'm sure the old dears in the chemo ward think I'm a terrible hussy.

Scans next week to see how effective it has all been.

Anyway, that's my good news, chemo is all over, so instead of sitting at a computer whinging about my life, I'm busy going out and having a good time! So short post today!

Thank you all for supporting me through what has been quite a difficult time. Your continued love and support is what makes this journey not only worthwhile, but happy as well.

May God bless you as much as he does me.

With much love,

Jess

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Jess,

Last Chemo ever hey? Sweet! Sounds like you had a top time down in Sydney too. Makes me wish I was there! How was Radams new haunt anyway? Not as good as Cammeray? Ohh, I thought so.

Anyway make sure you have a drink for me in amongst all this parting! I will certainly have one (or several more ...) for you.

Cheers

Mark

8:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess
so pleased you've finished the chemo - a permanent hangover sounds nightmarish - in fact brings back memories from my misspent 20's when life in London was a never-ending round of parties and drinks with some work thrown in between (to fund the parties and drinks!). Your description makes it a lot easier understand how disgusting you must have felt. In fact, Mark and Rhino should really now be able to appreciate what chemo is like! Also appreciate and relate to your comments on sexy food - Nigella is Jim's favourite foodie and he and I both agree with your observations - she really does know how to make everything sound erotic.....a very interesting alternative to that revolting Gordon Ramsey!
Anyway - palace life continues with its hectic round of social engagements to dicuss the state of the coffers and whether there'll be enough left to feed the corgi's next week. They are hoping for a new kennel next year - but not sure if we can run to that - may just have to tar-paper the roof of the old one to keep it water-tight!
Anyway - enough frivolity. Hope you are starting to feel more like yourself again.
love
Gill

2:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home