Tuesday, May 09, 2006

This just in...

And now, the news.

We did actually find all of this out on Friday, but we've spent the weekend trying to process it ourselves as well as tell immediate family.

So obviously it isn't good.

The results of all the biopsies are in. My left ovary is also cancerous. There is also cancer in some of my lymph nodes, which means it's in my lymphatic system (or immune system). This is obviously quite bad news, it means that the cancer has spread.

This means more chemotherapy, which I was really hoping not to have to do again. We met with the chemo-oncologist on Friday. He is meeting with his fellow oncologists on Wednesday and then again on Friday to discuss my case, and then we're seeing him on Friday afternoon to discuss the plan for my treatment. So we'll know exactly what sort of treatment I'll be having (as well as the schedule) this coming Friday.

Chemotherapy is very 'scary' to most people. It's really not that intimidating. Chemotherapy is just chemical or drug therapy - large doses of drugs to fight the cancer. Chemo drugs kill off fast growing cells such as cancer cells. Unfortunately, it has a lot of side effects, because it's can't discriminate between fast growing cells, so things like hair falls out as well, the stomach is affected (thus the nausea), and the reproductive and immune systems are also compromised. But as far as treatment goes, it is pretty easy - my chemo will be intravenous, so basically I go to the clinic, sit down with a bag on a drip, and when it's absorbed I go home again. It's pretty easy, apart from the fact that it will make me pretty sick. I coped quite well last time though, and I'm fully expecting to cope with it this time as well.

One of the other implications is that since the only ovary I have is cancerous, we can't go ahead with the egg harvest. The chemo I'm about to have will probably affect my fertility, so I'm very disappointed and definitely very sad about that. Still, it's not certain that I can't have children - IVF technology is very impressive these days and even if I can't, there are stil plenty of options left to me anyway.

On the plus side, you'd never guess that I had major surgery a week and a half ago. I'm up and mobile, feeling pretty good. The wound has almost completely healed. I'm walking around with no problems, although I can't stretch upwards, or twist around, or bend down (shucks, still no dishwasher loading or vaccuum cleaning). So I'm very glad that the surgery happened in the beginning before the chemo while I'm still fit and healthy!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
Thinking of you down here in the UK.
Mike

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

testing

10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jess and Julie, I am sending lots of Mackay strength your way from the McNees. If anyone can beat this you can. No-one knows why some people seem to be continually tested, but you are the kind of person that everyone aspires to be.Stay strong and never stop believing.
Thinking of you each deay.
Love, Pauline

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jess
I'm glad that the miners got out of their dire predicament yesterday. For 2 weeks they didn't know if they would walk away alive. I said to Paul last night that the intense media attention was bizarre really, because there are thousands of everyday heros (you are one) who are battling that same uncertainty every day and for months, perhaps years - everyone fighting cancer.
Take it one day at a time (but you already know that) and fight the good fight. We love you and are thinking of you, Julie & Rich every day. Tell Mama I will ring her soon for a chat.
Love Auntie Anne

9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
So pleased you have felt able to add to your blog! The news has been staggering! I am encouraged to see you so optimistic and ready to fight one day at a time. You folk there are our heroes and we send our love and strength your way- the Wicky's have always been full of spunk and perseverance.
Our love nad prayers, Alison

2:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I was reading your blog and your 'sad' made me sad. It's lucky that your're not sad very often! You are exactly right in the measure of life.(But that doesn't mean that you can ever give up!)I have never met anyone who has squeezed so much into a life as you - and that was before you got sick!. You are pure sunshine to those around you,I don't think I own a photo or memory that you aren't smiling in. We think of you constantly. If anyone deserves a miracle, it is you. Rock on Jess. From Sharyn & Family

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home