Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Add a 38.8 degree temperature to that list...

And you get pneumonia.

On Wednesday the pain was unbearable, the nausea terrible and I had a temperature. Time to go in to HOCA. In a display of superb timing, my doctor is on holidays and this also happens to be the week-long window that I have to get medical certificates from my doctors to continue receiving TTD benefits.

I'm still on radiation (at a different hospital) as well.

Anyway, I am admitted into the Mater with suspected pneumonia. It's Amy's going away party on Friday, I have a girly sleepover on Saturday but the words pneumonia are pretty good at shutting me up.

They hike up my painkiller levels, try a new drug to treat nerve pain and pump me full of intravenous anti-biotics. Thursday I feel SO much better.

Top Five Things About Staying in Hospital (It was originally 10 but I couldn't come up with enough):
5. You get a newspaper every day.
4. You get a Homer Simpson bed ('Bed goes up, bed goes down...')
3. They have blanket warmers so you get a warm blanket whenever you're cold.
2. There's a button to push to summon someone when you want something (usually a warm blanket).
1. You can stay in bed all day and no one thinks you're being lazy.

I'm not even going to bother writing the list of the Crappest Million Things About Staying in Hospital. Especially when it's a flower-free ward.

I'm still on radiation, so Jason had to drive me to the Wesley every day for that (after they disconnected me from the drip.

Unfortunately, in the mornings, I'm finding it really hard to wake up and stay awake. Almost impossible. My eyes just keep closing. Side effect of a lot of the painkillers.

And the nausea is still really bad. I also have pleurisy in my left ribs which is causing huge amounts of pain whenever I breathe in. The doctors assure me that it will wear off.

In the meantime, I am the proud owner of an oxygen machine and an oxygen tank. It has a very long tube though so I can sit in the lounge or lie in bed or whatever. I don't need to use it all the time, but it helps with my cough and I feel much better after re-oxygenising. They sell this stuff on the Gold Coast and in Tokyo for $10/10 minutes!

So that's where I've been all week. Thank you to everyone who came to visit - sorry I was pretty dopey most of the time. Thank you to all the girls who came to recreate the sleepover in hospital anyway!

I hope you are all well... God bless.

Much love,

Jessie

2 Comments:

Blogger craggles said...

Hi Jess
Hope you are comfortable and pain free
Continue to be inspired by your story
Many blessings
Craig (pils uncle)

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Pea, have just checked in on your Blog again after a couple of weeks. So sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time right now. I'm glad you were able to have a version of your sleep over anyway and hope that saying goodbye to Amy wasn't as hard as you felt it was going to be.

Loved your post about the waddling wife and Jason being cool with that as long as you don't yodel as well - sounds like you both have a delightfully warped sense of humour.

I hope that next time we hear from you, things have eased off somewhat and the pain is being managed in a way that allows you to stay away for longer periods of time.

As usual, buckets of love from me and all at Life Force.
Jane xxx

8:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home